Thursday 10 March 2016

Worlds and Worlds.

I was sitting waiting for the dentist today when I spotted a poster on the wall. A well heeled married couple were engaged in the business of being contented, and the catch line informed me that life is better with tooth implants.

Later, while lying on the couch, I asked the dentist how much tooth implants cost.

‘£2,000 a tooth,’ she said without pausing to take a preparatory breath.

Clearly, I live in a different world than the one which dentists inhabit. My world is the poet’s world of garrets, home made soups and gaps where teeth used to be. And I realised two things:

1. There is a point to be made about the questionability of applying free market forces to the field of health care, but it’s complicated.

2. You don’t have to write poetry to be a poet.

No comments: