Monday 28 March 2016

Today's Fun.

I’ve been suffering the most curious condition all day today. It started with a sore eye that got more and more painful until I could hardly keep it open. In the evening it progressed to disorientation, lack of balance, sneezing, sore sinuses, a sore throat, abdominal cramps, muscle stiffness and advanced fatigue. I was quite incapable of doing anything – even using the computer or reading was out of the question because it hurt my sore eye so much. But then it eased a little shortly before midnight, so I dragged myself into the shower and subsequently felt better. That’s a new one on me.

So then I wrote to the priestess and explained how we will found the Pong Dynasty in post-apocalyptic China in our future lives, and how it will be known as ‘the Great Pong’ to subsequent generations. I hope she agrees. She did say it sounded like a fun idea.

Meanwhile, the eye is still a little sore. I think it might be the work of some local witch who takes exception to me lowering the standard of the Shire by walking the lanes dressed in a 28-year-old coat with open seams and a generally soiled appearance. (And a woolly hat.)

2 comments:

Madeline said...

Very mysterious. Staph infection maybe? Glad it's better. Did you try hot soaks?

JJ said...

Erm... don't know what a staph infection is. I suspect the culprit might be a house plant which I moved recently, and which I seem to remember touched my eye at one point. Maybe its leaves are toxic.

As for hot soaks, certainly not. We Englishmen don't do that sort of thing. We have stiff upper lips to maintain, even when they're coming under assault from a streaming nose and excess salivation. I did stoop to bathing the eye, but that just made it worse.

I was in a bad mood all day in consequence, but it seems to have cleared now.