Saturday 5 December 2015

The Name of the Day.

I was just reading an old post of mine about Doris Day, so I looked her up on Wiki. Did you know that her real name isn’t Doris Day at all, but Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff? (There’s a popular actor in Britain called Andrew Lincoln, only his real name is Andrew Clutterbuck. Well, there you go.)

What surprised me was the fact that dear Doris is still alive, but her age is uncertain because there’s dispute over her date of birth. All we know is that she’s at least 91. And my family doctor when I was a kid was called Doctor Day, which doesn’t sound so different from Doris Day but I expect it was more genuine. He used to walk very briskly with his head and shoulders projecting well forward, which led my mother to refer to him as “Here’s my head, my arse is coming.”

No comments: