Wednesday 23 December 2015

Eddie and Me.

I saw a documentary recently on Edgar Allan Poe, and I was telling Mel last night about some interesting similarities between him and me, both in terms of his nature and his personal circumstances. (And given the peculiar circumstances of his demise, I found the comparison a little disturbing.) She Googled him while we were talking and said:

‘Mmm. He looks like a cross between Adolf Hitler and Charlie Chaplin.’

Conversation dismissed.

His left eyebrow droops. Mine's the right, otherwise...

But I thought I might offer one of his better known pronouncements, since I’ve been known to say something very similar myself and in not dissimilar words:

They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Yes indeed. If ever I should disappear for a while and then be found lying semi-conscious in the street wearing somebody else’s clothes, put it down to an interesting coincidence.

No comments: