Monday 7 December 2015

Bravo Sarah Haynes (and Me.)

I just read a piece about Sarah Haynes, Head Girl of the prestigious Ravenswood School in Sydney, NSW. It seems she used her end of year speech to criticise the school for being run too much like a business and putting profits before students.

Well, I don’t know whether she’s right or not, although it strikes me that she probably is because that’s how most things are run these days. What I do know is that it takes a lot of guts to stand in the lion’s den and berate the lion, and if I were her dad I would be bloody proud of her.

*  *  *

You should have read the post I typed up at around 2 o'clock this morning. It was very strange, and even after a beer and several scotches I realised that it would have gained me nothing but an unwarranted reputation, and possibly cost me dear. I found it highly amusing and was almost desperate to throw it up, but a small voice whispered incessantly in my ear, informing me that certain styles of humour do not travel well beyond what I still like to call a mind. Discretion won the argument. I didn’t even save the file.

*  *  *

And the difference between the two is that the Sarah Haynes speech was borne on the wings of honourable mission, whereas my post was just self-indulgent silliness.

No comments: