Saturday 28 March 2015

The Peasant's Retailer.

I get a little bit irritated when I hear people complain about charity shops. ‘High Streets are full of bloody charity shops these days,’ they say, as though charity shops are on a par with the blight of 1960s concrete tower blocks just waiting to be demolished. Here’s three reasons why I think charity shops are a damn fine thing:

1. Financially challenged people like me (and plenty more) can pick up as-new quality clothes from top names at a small fraction of what they would cost from the mainstream shops. That makes them a great leveller.

2. They recycle functional items, thus reducing waste and pollution in an already over-polluted world.

3. Best of all, the profits go to good causes rather than into the coffers of corporations or the oversized pockets of hideously overpaid executives in their company Audi A6s. (One of these days I might explain why I’m negatively fixated on the Audi A6. But for now…)

I got just what I needed from a charity shop today – for 50p! That’s less than the bag of chips cost.

No comments: