Sunday 1 March 2015

1st of the Month Notes.

We have a saying in Britain:

March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.

Today we had more strong wind, driving rain and sleet, periods of brilliant sunshine, and thunder. That sounds kind of lionish, doesn’t it? Anticipating improvement.

So tonight I sat by the fire with another photo album, annotating the pictures so that future generations will know what they’re looking at. Do you think they’ll care?

And in the process of so doing, I came across two interesting little facts:

1. My brother’s funeral took place on America’s Independence Day. I never noticed at the time, probably because I didn’t know any Americans then. I should like mine to take place on Beltane Eve, so please keep me on ice if you can.

2. My endeavours were accompanied by Julie Fowlis’s splendid album Uam, which is a collection of Gaelic songs from South Uist. I was reading the sleeve notes to one that intrigued, and discovered that one line translates into English as ‘Handsome fellow with the beautiful rear.’ That’s a bit more romantic than ‘nice arse,’ isn’t it?

No comments: