Friday 27 March 2015

A Moment of Value.

I was waiting to cross a busy road in a town today. The traffic flow was unremitting – first one way, then the other, sometimes both ways at once. I was just beginning to think that I might have to stand there for an hour and a half until the school crossing lady turned up with her lollipop which says STOP, when I noticed that an approaching car was slowing and a gap was appearing in the flood. The woman driver gestured to me to cross, and so off I nipped with grateful pace. I smiled, waved and said ‘thank you’ and she smiled and waved back.

Such an incident is a highlight in a grey, scurrying world. It’s pregnant with significance, not the least of which is that it makes me wonder whether living among the human animal might be made to work after all.

No comments: