Friday 20 March 2015

On Plunging and Things Spectacular.

At around 9.30 this morning I noticed that the light level was a little lower than would be consistent with the time of day and density of cloud cover. I’d heard that we were due a solar eclipse today and assumed it to be responsible, so I checked with the BBC website and found I was right. The hint of something resembling early twilight lasted a few minutes, and then the level returned to normal.

Tonight the website news page was full of enthusiasm for the ‘spectacular’ event, and said that the earth had been ‘plunged into darkness.’ What a lot of tosh.

So then I paid a visit to my old home city and went into the centre for the first time in several years. I used the public toilet at one point and saw something written on the mastic between the wall tiles in one corner. It said (phone number) teen LHD look. I was intrigued as to what ‘LHD’ might mean, and kept thinking ‘local hard disk.’ I doubt I was right. I imagine it was code for something known only to the denizens of a subterranean world into which I have never plunged, spectacularly or otherwise.

But much to my delight, the museum had a copy of the Sutton Hoo helmet in a glass case – part of the display relating to the Saxon Hoard coin find which was made in the county, and some of which is kept there. Now that was spectacular.

No comments: