Friday 29 July 2022

Two Church Lane Notes.

I’ve remarked several times on this blog that this year has been remarkable for the number of first’s it’s brought my way. Well, yesterday it brought another one.

I saw two small deer in a field adjacent to Church Lane. Judging by their size they must have been either Sika or Roe deer, and I’ve never seen either species before in my life. I’ve seen Red Deer (like the two I saw, also in a field adjacent to Church Lane, last year) but never Roe or Sika.

This evening, the weather being cloudy but warm, calm and dry, I took another stroll along Church Lane purely for the pleasure of sitting on the stile by the big old copper beech tree for a while. On the way back I saw a beetle scurrying across the road and guarded it from any potentially murderous vehicles until its journey was complete. No first there, of course; I often see beetles crossing Church Lane. What’s strange is that I never see them anywhere else.

I think that’s odd. You, on the other hand, probably think I’m odd. That’s your right and I don’t care.

No comments: