Sunday 31 July 2022

Mixed Feelings.

Tonight’s women’s footie was the big one, the final of the European Championship between England and Germany. England won, which offered a few minutes of pleasure when the final whistle sounded. But then something odd happened: a sense of desolation set in. It was partly the feeling that an adventure had ended and now it was time to go back into the darkness of everyday life, and partly the sight of a young German player sitting on the pitch sobbing her heart out.

That’s always the problem for me. Winning always carries that uncomfortable mixture of sensations – the pleasure of achievement and the causing of others to suffer the pain of failure. It doesn’t bother me so much with men’s sport because I’ve never felt much inclined to sympathise with men. But when it’s women who are suffering, it’s different. I suppose it has something to do with my generation, and I further suppose that it could be argued to be another form of objectification. I grew up with the ‘women and children first’ mentality, and I wonder whether it could be argued that the imperative to protect women and children has its root in the instinct to maintain survival of the species. Life does get complicated, doesn’t it?

So what of that interesting little fact I discovered recently, that in 1921 the English Football Association banned women’s teams because they said football was not a proper pursuit for women? Where does that fit into the argument?

Ah well, it’s life and life only.

Other notes:

My toothache came back after the game finished.

Today really is the last day of July. August was only ever my favourite month when I was a schoolboy and had the blessed relief of being able to get up when I wanted to and doing whatever I liked during the day. Nowadays I find August to be the month when signs of approaching cold and drabness begin to be felt on the wind.

No comments: