Tuesday 19 July 2022

Icy Poles and Other Remedies.

I was just reading a news article on how people around the world deal with temperatures of around 40°C. It took as its example several major cities and informed us that:

The people of Sydney load themselves up with icy poles and suck them in the shade. The people of Delhi drink lots of water and travel around the city by air conditioned metro. The people of Madrid mostly have air conditioned houses in which they sit until it cools down. The people of Nairobi wonder what all the fuss is all about because 40°C is pretty average there so they carry on regardless.

The people of the UK, however, get a bit confused. They mostly open all the windows to let the heat in, and then slouch languidly on sofas making squeaky noises. It’s the dogs I feel sorry for.

I wonder how people living in Svalbard would react to a temperature of 40°C. I suppose they’d have trouble with polar bears trying to steal their icy poles.

But I’m tired of talking about the heat. I was going to talk about Mr Putin’s visit to Iran and how a prime opportunity was missed, but that would be ungracious so I won’t.

No comments: