Tuesday 19 July 2022

On The Last Post and Lithuania.

If you’re going to write a post entitled ‘On Heat and Open Windows’ it should be more than the inconsequential bit of trivia I wrote, shouldn’t it? It should.

‘On Heat and Open Windows’ sounds like an allegorical reference to a post of significance, something to stretch the mind and open pathways to meaningful revelations on the subject of life and the human condition. But it wasn’t, so I’m a failure. And being a failure makes me ashamed of presuming to write a blog. I used to do better, but I was younger then. And all this on the night when I get my first visit from Lithuania for ten years or more. What on earth must Lithuanians think of me?

(And why would somebody from Lithuania want to visit my blog anyway? What am I to the average Lithuanian? Is it something to do with the Great European Heatwave? Are they getting it there? Is this a matter of cosmic significance? Could it presage the posting of a YouTube video with a click bait title and an airbrushed picture of a tsunami invading the River Thames and obliterating the London Eye? YouTube is full of that sort of stuff and millions of people watch them. So should ‘On Heat and Open Windows’ have been a post about just how stupid millions of people are?)

I’m writing this because I felt like writing something and it was the first thing that came into my head. Life is strange, and waiting for the results of a CT scan can affect a sensitive mind that way. (I wonder whether the Gorgeous Girlie radiographers who took over on Monday morning appreciated their chocolates. It would please me to know that they did, even though it shouldn’t.)

OK, stream-of-consciousness rant over. I can’t turn the clock back (time runs apace after all, and time’s a blockhead) but I’ll try to do better next time as long as there is a next time.

It’s now the early hours of the morning and my office is warmer than it was during this afternoon’s heat. I don’t know why.

No comments: