Wednesday 6 July 2022

Anticipating an Empty Space.

Tonight I finished reading To the Lighthouse. Mr Ramsay and the two children have finally reached the island and Lily Briscoe has decided that all matters are now satisfactorily resolved. The End. So what will I find to occupy myself now as the evening runs down to midnight and the darkened world has disappeared behind firmly closed curtains? What shall become of me?

I want to read Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel Klara and the Sun next, but where to get a copy? I always used to get second hand copies of books from Amazon, but I refuse to buy from them now owing to their nefarious ways. In my eyes Amazon stands as an exemplar of all that is worst in the corporate world, and my only recourse by way of objecting to their nasty practices is simply to refuse to buy from them.

In an ideal world, of course, I could go to a bookshop and buy a new copy, but the world is far from ideal. There is the issue of economy to be considered in these days of burgeoning living costs, and then there’s the dearth of bookshops. Ashbourne used to have two; now it has none. Uttoxeter used to have a second hand bookshop run by a charity, but that closed down several years ago. No doubt the city centres still have bookshops, but I no longer visit city centres because too much about them runs counter to my tastes in the matter of life.

It would be nice if I could think of something satisfying to write, but I can’t. It would be nice if I didn’t feel grindingly uncomfortable on account of my latest health issue, but I do. It would be nice if some rare and special person were to visit me and offer sparkles and refreshment to a jaded spirit, but no rare and special person is offering. Maybe I might discover the pleasure of just sitting and doing nothing. It’s what Mr Carmichael does in To the Lighthouse and he seems happy enough. (But I expect he isn’t really doing nothing; I expect he’s thinking. That won’t do because I get tired of thinking.)

Maybe it’s time I became a jellyfish.

Currently listening to Little Black Book from the movie Hanami – Kirschblüten. Why do I never tire of hearing it?

No comments: