Monday 25 July 2022

Thoughts and Things.

I well remember being young. I remember being able to do forty pull-ups on a bar with my legs stretched out horizontally in front. I remember being able to run and wrestle up and down a rugby pitch for eighty minutes without sweating. I remember being able to carry 56lb bags of potatoes around all day without my arms getting tired or my back aching. And now I’m weak, constantly fatigued, and very nearly bloody useless.

I want to tell today’s young people to appreciate their health, strength and vitality because it doesn’t go on forever, but there wouldn’t be any point. It seems to be an inevitable truism of the human mind to take such things for granted, and maybe it’s natural that it should. We all do it, and we all come to appreciate the blessings only when they start to disappear and there’s nothing we can do about it. And appreciation wouldn’t make any difference to the process of gradual decay anyway.

So we’re stuck with it, and life makes less sense to me now than it ever did.

Still no results from the CT scans (and I have a toothache.)

I just had a yen for a bowl of porridge with cream and a sprinkling of sugar. And I was woken up at 5.45 this morning by what sounded like fireworks cracking and popping. I had no idea what was causing it and I still haven’t. I wonder whether Lithuanians eat porridge.

No comments: