Monday 5 October 2020

YouTube and the Humour Barrier.

Following on from the last post about the language barrier, I now have to report a problem with the humour barrier. It goes like this:

Several times recently I’ve had comments of mine deleted on YouTube. Interestingly, none of them were overtly offensive. They weren’t even critical of the video. What they amounted to was an attempt to take a slightly more oblique view of the subject matter and impress a little humour into the discussion. It seems some channel owners don’t like that, and so they opt to decline my right to comment. Well, that’s up to them and I see no justification for serious concern.

The point is, though, I’m fairly sure that the problem is my sense of humour. It’s a little oddball even by English standards, so I suppose it’s unreasonable to expect people from other cultures to get it.

Take Benny Hill, for example. I never understood why anybody found anything he did funny, and yet I gather his show was one of the most popular ever broadcast on British TV. He even had a dedicated following in America and was invited to appear on American TV chat shows. An example: he accidentally rips the T shirt off some busty bimbo, and then runs away while she chases him in bra and knickers. Is that funny? Not to me it isn’t.

But if the psychiatrist asks: ‘Have you lived in Blackpool all your life?’ and the patient answers: ‘Not yet’, I find that funny. When Spike Milligan describes his mother-in-law as looking like ‘a dog’s bum with a hat on’, I find that funny. And when the barman asks the talking white horse whether he realises there’s a whisky named after him, and the horse replies: ‘What? Kevin?’ I find that funny, too. It seems other people don’t.

So what’s the solution? Stop making my version of humorous comments on YouTube? I could, but then I wouldn’t be commenting authentically, would I? I think I’ll start keeping count of the number of comments I have deleted instead. It will give me something to boast about during my next life on a different planet.

No comments: