Monday 5 October 2020

Finding the Gap.

Considering the fact that I’m the sort of person whose perceptions and responses are driven more by emotion than reason, it’s perhaps surprising that my emotional armour is generally quite secure. (Or maybe it isn’t so surprising. Maybe people driven more by emotion than reason are good at making armour.)

The fact is, however, there are chinks in it – gaps big enough to allow entrance to sometimes seemingly innocuous bits of sensory input, thereby sending my mind to states of elation, excitement, despair or depression. This video is of the elation variety.


I’m completely hooked on it and watch it nearly every day. There are several stars on show, but for me the greatest stars are the kids dancing with their instructor. I bow the knee to them, I really do. They bring fresh air to a jaded mind, encouraging the view that the human race might be worth belonging to after all, and even that there might be hope for a world which I think is heading for severe difficulty. They even encouraged me to try some of the moves myself, whereupon two things happened:

1. I got a sharp pain in my left ankle.

2. I fell over (well, nearly.)

Shuffling is definitely for the young, so long may they have the will and physical wherewithal to practice it.

No comments: