Thursday 15 October 2020

Ridiculous Recommendations.

You really have to wonder who writes Google’s algorithms, don’t you? They’re a complete, and occasionally funny, mystery to me, and I’d like to offer two brief examples from YouTube to illustrate my point:

The first is a 1hr 31min video showing the whole of the debate between Ms Harris and Mr Pence. Now, could somebody please give me a single acceptable reason why an Englishman with his own opinions should want to watch two American politicians wasting an hour and a half disagreeing with one another in exactly the way everybody knew they would. (Come to that, why would anybody?)

The second is entitled Seven Things to Do in Your Evenings by Marcus Aurelius and is subtitled Stoicism Evening Routine. I assume we’re not talking wild, drug-fuelled partygoing here, nor even settling down to watch Brief Encounter for the 17th time. Thought not.
 
Take me somewhere east of Suez
Where the best is like the worst
Where there ain't no Ten Commandments
And a man may raise a thirst
~ A famous Englishman 
 
Oh, and then tonight I was recommended a video of the ending scene from the movie Dead Poets Society. I assume they picked up a mention of it on my blog and assumed I'd want to watch it again. 

No comments: