Monday 26 October 2020

A Minor YouTube Mystery.

The variable quality of YouTube comments continues to fascinate me. Many of them are so badly written that they would even outdo those phishing scams which purportedly come from African VIPs and promise to make you rich beyond your wildest dreams if you’ll only click on the link or send full details about yourself. Others – very much in the minority – can be well written and have something worthwhile to say. Today I had an odd reply to one of mine.
 
Five years ago I put a comment on an Omnia track which simply said ‘That drummer is bloody fantastic.’ It’s had over 1,000 likes and a lot of replies, mostly agreeing with me. Today it received another reply which is intriguing to say the least. Some woman called Megan said ‘Cheerio darling’ followed by a heart. What on earth does it mean?
 
And then there was the comment I left on a Kate Rusby track a similar length of time ago. In essence it said that the nice thing about this artist was that her music rarely attracted the attention of trolls. I received a response to that one yesterday which read: 'Can you go be a slimy little sneering 'intellectual' somewhere else? We're trying to enjoy a beautiful song.'

My, how that one did amuse me.

No comments: