Thursday 8 October 2020

The Bard Being Wrong for Once.

Sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care
The death of each day’s life, sore labour’s bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course,
Chief nourisher in life’s feast
~ Macbeth

Last night I dreamed that I was young again and still married. I came home from a trip away and found two strangers sitting in my car parked on the drive. They got out and walked away as I approached.

I went into the house to find another strange man in there, and it dawned on me that my wife was having multiple affairs. I decided I would have to leave and sat down with her to agree on the apportionment of our effects, but we kept being interrupted by people calling her out of the room to discuss more immediate and important matters.

The whole thing seemed to go on for a depressingly long time and I woke up feeling betrayed, frustrated, dispossessed and a little desolate.

None of it explained anything. No knitting up of any raveled sleeve of care here, no balm for any hurt mind. I wonder whether I’ll ever get to understand life while I’ve still got some left.

No comments: