Saturday 10 October 2020

Yet More Random Thoughts.

I had a most unfamiliar sensation this morning: I felt, quite suddenly and with no obvious source of prompting, that I wanted to touch somebody. I wanted a woman of whom I approved to slip her arm through mine, or a man of whom I approved to shake my hand. This is odd because I’ve never been the touchy-feely sort, and it never occurred to me that the restrictions consequent upon the pandemic would cause me to miss it.
*  *  *

I saw a headline today in which the term ‘mental health’ was used in a way I deemed inappropriate. I think we’re becoming far too inclined these days to substitute ‘mental health’ for the simpler, more general, more accurate, and less emotive phrase ‘state of mind.’

*  *  *

I felt moved by the sight of the yellowing leaves while out on a walk today, and experienced a growing conviction that the individualised consciousness is driven by the same cyclical imperative as drives nearly all natural processes in the phenomenal universe. Metempsychosis is gaining ground.

*  *  *
And then an uninvited thought sprang into my own consciousness and advised me that the secret of Life, the Universe and Everything is contained within the phrase ‘even earthworms defecate.’ I frowned, but didn’t disagree.

No comments: