Friday 16 October 2020

October Light.

This October is proving unsatisfactory so far. I like my October days to be characterised either by a low and mellow sun casting its golden glow on trees and stonework alike, or still, misty conditions in which the trees at least seem somehow to produce a glow of their own. This October so far has given us too many sullen skies dropping frequent and copious amounts of rain on a sodden, unprepossessing landscape. 
 
When I was a landscape photographer I found that there was a particular kind of shot which could only be found in October. The following picture of St Mary’s Lighthouse on the coast of Northumberland comes close to illustrating it. The quality is poor because I scanned it at moderate resolution from a postcard (my photography career was pre-electronic) but it will suffice, I think. The second picture was taken a little further up the coast where I lived. It was also taken when the day was fading, but this time in December. The quality of light is so different.
 
St Mary's Lighthouse, Whitley Bay

Druridge Bay, Northumberland

No comments: