Wednesday 15 May 2019

The Three Ladies of Costa.

In the short time I have available between aspects of my evening activities, I thought I’d heap thanks and praise on the three women working in Ashbourne Costa today. (And please note that the three women motif common in Celtic folklore is a favourite of mine. Maybe that’s why the Costa women behaved as they did today, although I was tempted to assume that the Lady Fu was actually at the helm. I even said as much.)

I’m not going to go into detail for reasons which needn’t be explained. Suffice it to say that their level of friendliness, generosity, singular attention to my interest, and overall niceness went far beyond anything I have hitherto experienced from people working in the service industry. And I had no idea what I’d ever done to deserve it.

The leader of the trio was the youngest, a woman I have often observed to be one of those people who carry light around with them and bestow it to everyone in their orbit. I said ‘Would you mind if I asked your name?’ (At one time I would simply have asked ‘What’s your name?’ but that was back in the days when I was more House-like. Making an earnest effort to be less presumptuous was one of my resolutions after the people at the Royal Derby Hospital saved my life.)

‘Teagan,’ she replied. ‘It’s Gaelic Irish.’

‘Are you Irish?’ I asked, genuinely interested.

‘Not even close.’

I have no idea what that was meant to imply, but she remained the day’s hero notwithstanding. I then had to explain to the manager that the pictogram Fu, as in the Lady Fu, is associated with good fortune and has nothing to do with egg foo young. She said ‘Oh.’

But never mind. Today’s visit to Costa Coffee was mind-bogglingly splendid and I expect I’ll go again next week. I wonder whether they’ll remember me.

(And I do realise that their favour might have been driven by sympathy consequent upon the fact that I’m growing old and ugly, but I choose not to dwell on the possibility.)

No comments: