Tuesday 21 May 2019

Random Musing and Mostly Rubbish.

I don’t know what to do tonight. Tomorrow I have to be up indecently early by my standards, and then I have to do something I find unpalatable. I’ve been dreading it for weeks, so should I bother to go to bed tonight?

I felt like this the night before my operation, and that night I didn’t bother to go to bed – just snatched a couple of hours in the armchair between watching half a tedious movie and waiting for the taxi to turn up. It was still dark when we got to the hospital. Imagine that: me getting somewhere while it was still dark. Hideous.

But therein lies the difference: I don’t have to catch a taxi tomorrow, I have to drive there. And it won’t be dark because now is May and then was March. (Please respect the imaginative use of English: it’s all I have to offer to get me through the gates when the time comes.) I’ll probably go to bed.

*  *  *

And talking of getting through the gates, I had a new thought on the mortality issue today. It seemed to me that when we’re born we take the first step on a road which is probably pre-determined by the law of cause and effect. The road goes on to infinity, but some way along it the Dark Rider starts riding towards us at precisely the moment of our birth. Sometimes the horse walks, sometime it canters, sometimes it trots, and sometimes it gallops. And then one day he meets us and gathers us up, and the rest of the road remains untrodden. I’ll mention the Dark Rider again next Monday, assuming I’m still here and in a position to make a post next Monday. Next Monday will be 27th May.

*  *  *

There was a girl of eleven or twelve in tonight’s episode of House and she was very impressive. She reminded me, if such a thing were possible, of an American version of the young Hermione Granger. Different accent, different mannerisms, but similar personal qualities if allowance is made for the radically different context.

And talking of Hermione Granger, somebody who uploaded a video based around her on YouTube described her thus:

Brilliant and Brave
Loyal and Loving
Bossy and Beautiful

That’s pretty impressive, too. I do so like effective alliteration, especially when it’s right.

‘And Darkness, and Decay, and the Red Death held illimitable Dominion over all.’
~Poe

*  *  *

Today I was thrown into confusion by the sight of two women walking two cocker spaniels. There was a human missing.

*  *  *

I really don’t know why I’m writing this stuff. Not knowing why I’m writing something seems to be the way of things these days, and it must be nearly bed time if I’m going to have an early night. I don’t suppose I will, though. I’m sure it wouldn’t work. I think I'll just sit here and glow with pride at combining the alliterative with the palindromic. I'm easily pleased since the mirror cracked and my vanity met the Dark Rider.

No comments: