Monday 27 May 2019

A Choice of Black Days.

Since the clock in our venerable old church tower has now chimed the witching hour, I suppose I can make the post I mentioned a few days ago.

It’s 27th May here in dear old Blighty, and 27th May shall henceforth be know as Black Monday in this household. Well, it would be if only the days and their respective dates didn’t keep changing every year. Next year it will be Black Tuesday. ('Oh no it won’t,' I hear you shriek in glee, 'because next year will be a leap year. It will have to be Black Wednesday.' OK, you got me. Seems to me that whoever set up the western calendar must have been high on some concoction derived from a plant root found only in a 10ft square patch of unhallowed ground somewhere in the vicinity of the headwaters of the Orinoco, but I expect he’s dead now so there’s nothing we can do about it.)

But I digress. It’s 27th May and I don’t like it. I suspect it even had something to do with the infernal racket rolling up the hill from the lower levels of the Shire last night, suffocating the kind of magic which only a mild and moth-laden spring evening can convey. But I suppose everyone is entitled to their choice of noise (or so I’m told.) And I suppose those of us with more refined sensibilities just have to put up with being forced against our will to listen to it. And since I also suspect that it was contrived to accompany a double celebration, I further suppose that the weight of evidence was on their side for once.

(This could so easily go into the post about living in the groove. It’s been rolling around my mind for some time now, but I won’t force that one on you. For now.)

And you haven’t a clue what I’m talking about, have you? Just as well. What value do I have left if I can’t be enigmatic while the world fades? And who knows, maybe the Dark Rider will take pity on me and offer me a pillion position before Black Wednesday stuffs my head with sawdust.

*  *  *

We lost Masters in tonight’s episode of House. That’s a shame; I liked Masters. I think I was supposed to.

No comments: