Monday 27 May 2019

A Matter of Values.

I decided to lighten up a bit, so I thought I’d tell the story of my new poppy plant.

Back in the spring of 2016 I noticed that an oriental poppy had seeded itself close to an ancient one at the bottom of my garden. I knew it would get well smothered by other growth if I left it there, so I decided to move it even though I’d read that poppies don’t like being moved.

I kept plenty of earth around its roots and planted it in a clearer space at the top of the garden, and was disappointed to see it apparently die back to nothing very quickly. Fortunately I’d noticed that poppy leaves do die back very soon after flowering, so I left the little newbie in place. In the spring of 2017 a few shoots appeared, but nothing else. In the spring of 2018 it grew to a height of about a foot. This year it’s grown to twice that height and has its first flower bud. Do I take great delight in that? Yes I do, because the god of small things is usually the one to bring me cheer when I need it.

‘But a poppy plant is a minor matter,’ I hear you say.

No it isn’t. It’s a small matter, but not a minor one. There’s a difference. My idea of success is not about childishly threatening to destroy Iran if it doesn’t cease being anti-American, but rather about seeing new and colourful life take hold and prosper. And I heard recently that appreciating the value of small things is a sign of emotional maturity, so I’d say the current score is Trump 0 : JJ 1.

No comments: