Saturday 18 May 2019

Remembering the Everglow.

I’ve recently become somewhat enamoured of the song Everglow by Coldplay. I’d never heard it until I found it among the plethora of clips from Harry Potter on YouTube, but it went straight under my skin and hasn’t come out yet.

The only problem with it was the fact that I couldn’t make out which of the two protagonists was gone – was it the singer, who might have been dead, or the beloved, who might have been gone for all sorts of reasons? So today I got the lyrics up by way of a Google search. I’m still a little confused about the line ‘when I’m cold’, but it’s now apparent that it’s the loved one who is absent for some reason.

What’s also interesting is that when I saw the lyrics in print, they didn’t look like song lyrics at all. There appeared to be no structure or metre to them and I wondered how on earth anybody could actually sing them effectively. And yet by dint of various devices the singer does sing them most effectively and movingly. And there were a couple of seemingly innocuous lines which meant something to me:

There’s a light that you give me when I’m in shadow
There’s a feeling within me, an everglow

Now, who does that remind me of? Didn’t I once remark that the sun came out? And why is it that, in spite of the fact that every inch of ground on which she walked was hallowed, were we never able even to be friends? Sad maybe, or maybe not; I’m sure it was for the best. And here’s the video in case anybody wants to acquaint themselves with the song and the nature of a person whose skin it gets under.


No comments: