Friday 31 May 2019

Exciting Encounters.

I said to the new checkout girl in Sainsbury’s:

‘The thing which most attracts or repels me about individuals is what I feel of their presence. Some people have a strong presence, some people don’t. Some people feel presence strongly, while others don’t.’

‘Never really thought about it,’ said the new checkout girl.

The silence was pregnant for a few minutes while she scanned and I packed, and then she said (I believe it was while she was weighing the onion): ‘I think I agree with you.’ Her subsequent habit of smiling expectantly suggested she wanted my approbation. Can’t imagine why.

*  *  *

Meanwhile, Dr House drove his car into Cuddy’s living room tonight because she was being nice to her sister’s creepy bank manager. House is my kind of bloke, you know, and my only regret was that the creepy bank manager wasn’t sitting at the table which the big blue sedan demolished. And Cuddy did once tell my favourite doctor that he was the most remarkable man she’d ever known. Nobody ever said that to me. The best I ever get is new checkout girls apparently wanting my approbation. I expect it all comes down to whether you’ve got presence or not.

No comments: