Monday 6 May 2019

Discussing the Conundrum.

There’s a familiar car coming up the lane.

I know, I can see it. I expect lots of the cars which come up this lane are familiar to you. You live here. So what?

Yes, but this one’s special.

Why?

Because the driver is somebody who has occupied a prime seat at the top table of my consciousness for a long time.

Oh, I see. Is that a problem?

Yes.

Why?

Because I don’t know whether to wave or not.

You don’t know whether to wave or not?

No.

I don’t get it. If you see a familiar car being driven by somebody who happens to be significant to you, what’s the problem with waving at them?

Reciprocity. Or, to be more precise, the lack thereof.

God, you’re a weird one sometimes. Go on then: explain.

Well, I don’t hold any seat at all in the consciousness of the driver. Or if I do, it’s one a little below that occupied by an earthworm struggling to cross a dry road on a hot summer’s day. So if I wave I’ll be guilty of both pretension and presumption, but if I don’t wave I’ll be seen as impolite. And stop looking at me like that. And stop shaking your head. I’m a sensitive bloke, you know.

Mmm. Don’t I just? OK, so the issue is one of self-perception, in which case all you have to do is decide whether you’d rather be seen as pretentious and presumptuous or impolite. Which is it?

Well now, let’s see. Pretension and presumption are subjective faults; rudeness is objective. I think I’d prefer the former.

Good. So wave. I calculate you have approximately 1½ seconds in which to perform the dreaded deed.

*  *  *

There, now. That wasn’t so difficult, was it? Do you feel better?

No.

*  *  *

This makes quite a change for me, you know. I’m usually the one in italics.

The End

No comments: