Wednesday 29 May 2019

A Return to Something Like.

I took a shower in daylight today. That’s most unusual for me because I’m strictly a late night showerer. I find showering in daylight uncomfortable for some reason. It’s one of my oddnesses (or peculiarities, as Charlotte Brontë called them when discussing Emily.) In fact, the last time I showered in daylight was shortly after I came out of hospital following my operation nearly fourteen months ago, and that’s the point of the post.

It was when I took that shower last April that I first noticed the full extent of muscle loss on my arms, shoulders and chest. The light coming from the window was in just the right position to show up the wrinkled skin all across my chest because there was hardly anything underneath to stretch it. All I could see under the skin was an impression of my rib cage.

Today I got the same view with the same lighting, and it was very different. The muscles are back in earnest, there’s no sign of my rib cage which I’m fairly sure is still there, and the skin is as smooth as a baby’s bottom. (OK, so that’s a slight exaggeration. Slight exaggerations are allowed on blogs.)

erm... not quite, but going in the right direction

So there you have it. I’m still depressed, but being depressed with chest muscles is marginally better than being depressed without them.

No comments: