Friday 24 June 2016

Viva Scotland.

Since I’m feeling a little indignant on behalf of our Scottish friends in the wake of the Brexit vote, I thought I’d post a picture of one of their best known landmarks: Eilean Donan Castle in Wester Ross.

This was the location for Mary Queen of Scots’ romantic Highland home in the film Elizabeth: The Golden Years. I seem to recall that the film even hinted that it was the place of her execution, which it certainly wasn’t. As far as I know, Mary spent most of her life in and around Edinburgh, before being taken to England and shunted around various places of confinement in the English Midlands. She met her end at Fotheringhay Castle, built on a low mound in the middle of a village in Northamptonshire (which is even further away from the Highlands than Edinburgh is.)

I wish I could think of something pithy, poignant or topical to say, but I can’t. You’ll have to make do with a nice snapshot I took while on holiday up there.

No comments: