Tuesday 21 June 2016

A Little Magic to Mark the Day.

It was dusk and I’d just said ‘hello’ to a bat which had flown past me a few inches from my ear. And then my eye was drawn to two little white creatures fluttering frantically nearby. Close examination revealed them to be a pair of white moths with gossamer wings, feeding on the purple flowers which grow on the stand of sage I have near the fruit trees. They seemed to glow slightly in the gloom, and I remembered that it was Midsummer’s Night, when it used to be thought that Titania and her fairy host walked abroad. It seemed appropriate because I’d had a fire earlier in commemoration of Aine’s feast day. Suddenly the still, warm air seemed suffused with a little magic, and perception shifted into an unconventional space.


Such moments pass quickly, but they’re no less precious for that. And I haven’t made a post like this for a very long time.

No comments: