Monday 27 June 2016

Pretty Old Things.

During the photography years I visited and photographed quite a few monastic ruins. This was my favourite:

Wenlock Priory
Much Wenlock, Shropshire 

The Wiki article is hopelessly vague with regard to when it was actually built, referring to it as a ‘12th century priory’, but then claiming that it was occupied ‘before and after the Norman Conquest.’ What is apparent is that it’s the new building, the original having been erected by a minor Anglian king during the 7th century. What’s also irrefutable is that it’s a pretty old new building.

Most photographs of it are of open aspect, emphasising its grandeur. Being a hopeless Romantic, I preferred a more intimate view. And a well known film and TV actress from the 60s and 70s lives in the house on the right (which is also pretty old – as is she now, I suppose.) She didn’t invite me to tea.

No comments: