Wednesday 6 April 2016

Assuming Minor Significance.

The only interesting that happened in Ashbourne today involved brief encounters with four women. (Sorry, women again, I know… but can I help what happens to me? Well, there you are then.) So…

Three of them I knew, but the first two thwarted my intention to say ‘hello’ by turning away and pointedly ignoring me. By contrast, the third greeted me far more enthusiastically than she’s ever done. So what should I make of that? You tell me.

The fourth was the young woman in the coffee shop. She usually treats me like something the cat brought in having first devoured and regurgitated it. Today she had my coffee ready before I’d even ordered it and placed it in front of me with a ‘there you go.’ But then she gave me one of those looks that are slightly longer than normal and seem to carry some sort of meaning but you haven’t a clue what it is.

I treat such subtle encounters with a shrug of the shoulders these days since the female of the species is almost as big a mystery to me as the male. But it’s nice to be noticed, isn’t it?

No comments: