Sunday 19 April 2015

The Jungle Mentality.

I’m not aware of any evidence that altruism exists in the animal kingdom, at least not in the wild. It seems there’s very little giving at all, and what there is usually occurs between parent and offspring or from a suitor to a potential mate. This, it seems to me, is a matter of biological imperative rather than any propensity for generosity. When I watch the birds feeding I see a pecking order in progress. Much as I love them, I see the big and powerful grab while the smaller, weaker and more timid ones wait.

It’s a reason why I take issue with those who say that the human being is essentially no different from the animals; that the only reason for our dominant position is that we have been lucky in evolving the kind of intellect which gives us the advantage in a material world.

I think we do have something which the animal lacks, something generally called ‘higher mind.’ This is more than mere intellect. It’s the faculty that permits us to peruse the abstract, to appreciate aesthetic worth, to weep at the sight of a hungry child, and to give freely without expectation of reward.

I note that there is a piece of advice given freely by those who see themselves as successful. It’s one of the very few things they ever do give freely: ‘Grab what you can. Do nothing for nothing. Get the highest price you can get, and do whatever it takes because the end justifies the means. That’s the way to become powerful and/or prosperous.' It’s good advice for those who want to emulate the animals, but entirely inappropriate to those who aspire to be human.

I further note that society is largely controlled and conditioned by the emulators, and that the aspirers frequently suffer at their hands.

*  *  *

This is far too late an hour to be making a post of this sort. My Jekyll and Hyde nature usually dictates that I be serious during the daylight hours and become silly after nightfall. I will, therefore, add an addendum.

I just watched an episode of Agatha Christie’s Marple and her damson gin looked delightful. I must find out how to make it.

No comments: