Tuesday 14 April 2015

On Now.

I’ve suddenly been hit by the ‘now’ bug again. ‘Forget the past and future,’ they say. ‘Live in the now.’

But ‘now’ is a vague concept indeed, definable only as a vaguely delineated span of endless flow. My current now is sitting in a room typing this. But having typed that last sentence, it’s become history, a concept translated through the artifice of language and cemented into an endless past – or at least the notion of a past – there to be available in replay mode only to anybody who reads it. And what of those who do read it? What of their now?

This could go on and on. It’s all about time, of course. Time decrees that there should be no ‘now’ because it refuses to stop. And if we could stop time, we would then exist in the space between the nanoseconds without dimensionality and floating in an infinite space of nothingness. That’s a strange concept of existence, isn’t it? (Although at least we might come close to discovering what consciousness is, I suppose.)

Or so it would seem. Maybe I should study Zen. Or maybe I should bore myself rigid reading the words of all the philosophers and all the quantum scientists. Maybe I would get angry and consumed with self-hate for not being intelligent enough to grasp the complexities. That’s the state I usually come to when I read the words of philosophers and quantum scientists. Maybe I should post this and forget it, preferring instead to look forward to a cold beer in a couple of hours' time. (That’s if my current presumption about the future turns out to be accurate. In this context, ‘current’ is synonymous with ‘now.’ Oh dear. What a troublesome thing the nature of meaning is.)

So what brought this on? Reading an old story of mine, one rooted in several episodes of my own past. It was mainly about a ship, and now I see lots of NOWs floating backwards on its creamy wake. Irony upon irony.

Interesting things, stories. They’re full of mischievous imps which jump out and torment you with troublesome thoughts. Onward?

No comments: