Wednesday 1 April 2015

Clocking the Kid.

I was looking at the Easter displays in the shops today and being reminded of how responsive I was to colour as a kid. I even felt some of the same feelings as I did back then, and that led to remembering how much I loved fairgrounds.

What most stands out about those magical places in my recollection isn’t the rides, the sideshows and the music, but the prize stalls which gave away a range of artefacts in coloured glass. Seeing all those different colours close together was a delightful cocktail to my eyes, and I would stand and stare at them for ages. It’s a pity my affliction wasn’t noticed at the time and an alternative methodology applied to my upbringing.

And that brings me to the question of differences between parents. The ordinary parent will ask ‘Did you enjoy the fair? Did you go on any rides?’ The more adroit parent will ask ‘What do you like about fairgrounds?’ Of course, if the kid answers: ‘What? I dunno.’ then the parent can rest easy:

‘Oh good, we’ve got a right dimbo here. No need to bother about being adroit, then. I expect the football match will keep him amused.’

Coincidentally, I also loved going to the football match as a kid, especially if it was a night game under floodlights and the air was cold and a little misty. The atmosphere was sensational.

No comments: