Sunday 4 January 2015

Lady of the Chameleons.

Being somewhat removed from 21st century culture, I’ve missed out on the Lady Gaga thing. In fact, if it hadn’t been for Maddie I would still be languishing in total ignorance. (Still watching the dancing suffragettes, M. I love suffragettes. So proud of them, you know?)

Having nothing better to do tonight, I engaged in some research and discovered that she actually has a lot of talent. (What else she has I don’t want to see, but the talent was welcome. This is me being magnanimous.)

The problem is this: I’ve now seen lots of pictures and videos of Lady Gaga, and I still haven’t a clue what she looks like. How many Lady Gagas are there?

3 comments:

Madeline said...

I've always found that I have a self-specific face blindness, so that I always think that I look different in every picture that exists of me, and wouldn't recognize myself except for things like my hair and clothes. Lady Gaga is sort of the extreme of that, I guess.

If you Google "Lady Gaga before she was famous" you can see pictures of her when she was a bit more generic in appearance.

But the answer to your question is probably thousands.

JJ said...

I suspect that 'self-specific face blindness' might indicate the innate perception that you're not actually real, and that all pictures of you are variations on an illusion.

It took me two hours including a nap by the fire to think that one up.

JJ said...

p.s.

Tried your suggestion but it didn't help much. I'm none the wiser.

I wonder whether she walks around wearing a T shirt which says 'I am Lady Gaga. Feel free to ask for my autograph.' How would anybody know otherwise?

If she does, maybe we should all wear T shirts saying 'No, I'm Lady Gaga.' (Like Spartacus, you know?)