Thursday 1 January 2015

Ashbourne's Nice Ladies.

I bought a shirt from a charity shop today. I took it to the elderly lady at the counter who proceeded to irritate me with redundant niceties, culminating in ‘I hope it keeps you really warm.’

Thinks: Silly old bat; just get on with it.

I paid her and she gave me my change – £2.01.

‘Put the penny in the charity box,’ I said.

‘Oh no, no,’ she replied. ‘That’s your New Year good luck token. You must keep it.’

That was the first thing she said which made sense, so I decided I quite liked her after all. And I kept the penny.

And then the pretty Polish girl in the 99p shop wished me a Happy New Year – having first smiled apologetically for not knowing the answer to my question. (Are these cashew nuts unsalted?) I’ve come to quite like her, too.

But why do they do it?

No comments: