Wednesday 2 April 2014

Ordeal on a Full Stomach.

I went to the dentist today and there was some discussion over a troublesome tooth that I’ve mentioned on this blog before. The incomparable Medeea – in whom I have (unusually for me) complete confidence – said that if she re-filled it her way, there was a good chance that it would hold better than previous attempts. It would, however, requite extra drilling. An appointment was made, and then she advised me to make sure I ate something before I came in. ‘Make you feel stronger,’ she said.

Feel stronger? What’s that all about? Why, exactly, do I need to feel stronger? What, exactly, are we talking about here?

Walking back to the car, my thoughts drifted to an account I read once about Josiah Wedgwood having his leg amputated without anaesthetic. I found myself wondering whether he’d had something to eat first.

No comments: