Thursday 17 April 2014

Just Loving American Women.

While I was searching pictures on Google Images I came across one with a caption which I assume to have been a quotation from some film or other. It said:

The opposite of love isn’t hate. The opposite of love is indifference. The fact that you hate me means you still have feelings for me.

And do you know, I had the very same thought just a couple of nights ago. If I were still in touch with the Woman from America (in a rational, constructive way, that is – not the irrational, destructive way to which one is apt to be given, having consumed more scotch than the government says is good for you in one day and it isn’t quite 4 o’clock in the morning yet) I would send it to her. I’m sure she would concur, and possibly even appreciate the thought. One of the first things she said to me all those years ago was:

‘I won’t tolerate indifference, Jeffrey!’

Or maybe it was more like:

‘I won’t tolerate indifference, Jeffrey!!!

It was what led me down the same road as Charles Smithson Esq – realising that American women have something about them that is refreshing and really rather attractive. The dark-but-feminine tone, the hint of New England in the accent, the forthright attitude…

But I’m not, so I won’t.

No comments: