Thursday 24 April 2014

A Late and Probably Pointless Question.

I watched a short video tonight in which a black girl from America told a Japanese ghost story. Odd combination, but there you are. The story was about three boys in a park who see a ghostly little girl on a swing. Two of the boys see her as being sad and looking at the ground, while the third boy insists she’s looking directly at him and smiling. The next day, the third boy gets killed in a car crash. It purports to be a true story.

But that isn’t the point of the post. The point of the post is:

The black girl had a rather splendid accent. (She sounded like Zoe to me. Remember Zoe? I do. I’m sure I said that before.) So, I’d like some American to tell me what American accent opens up the ‘i’ in ‘hill’ and pronounces it more like ‘heel.’ I don’t suppose any American will, because life’s like that, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

No comments: