Wednesday 13 June 2018

Paper Presidents.

I see Trump and Kim (but especially Trump) are now taking the plaudits for diffusing the situation vis-à-vis North Korea.

What situation? Did anybody ever really take seriously the notion that little North Korea would start a nuclear war? I saw the whole affair as nothing more than an amusing sideshow in which two very juvenile men tried to out-insult one another with a lot of childish bickering.

But now it’s dominating the news and Trump is taking the applause like some supposedly latter day JFK. It will be interesting to see how he responds if ever he’s faced with a real crisis (like Russian missiles being shipped to Cuba, for example.)

This whole business smacks to me of typical political chicanery, carefully engineered so Trump can say: ‘Look at me. I just saved the world. Aint I great?’

(And I suppose I might be wrong, but about the only thing Trump ever inspires is cynicism.)

*  *  *

Coincidentally, it occurred to me only tonight what a huge debt of gratitude the human race owes to the humble ball. What on earth would we play with if we had no balls?

No comments: