Tuesday 12 June 2018

On Meeting Mrs Tiggywinkle.

Well, well; it’s been quite the day for animal encounters. After this afternoon’s meeting with the donkey, tonight I discovered a new visitor to my garden: a hedgehog. And do you know what? I’m almost as fond of hedgehogs as I am of donkeys.

Readers of longstanding might remember that I had a hedgehog visitor a few summers ago. She took up temporary residence in my shed and toddled out one day accompanied by two agonisingly cute baby hedgehogs.

At this point I suppose I should man up and deny the tendency of my mind to soften rapidly until it assumes the consistency of whipped cream at the sight of, and close proximity to, one or more baby hedgehogs. But why should I? Life’s too short to hide the nicer side of one’s persona, and I’ve done enough bad things in my life to warrant a little balance now and then. And so I hold up my hand and plead guilty: I find mama hedgehogs and baby hedgehogs really cute.

No comments: