Thursday 7 June 2018

Observing the Mother Thing.

It’s all the fault of the Lady B and her two-week-old baby. I’ve now become interested in the way mothers relate to their young offspring and have developed the habit of observing them attentively. There were several in Ashbourne today, including one sitting at the next table in the coffee shop.

She was quite lovely with her little one, not in a gooey sort of way but in a bright, bouncy, giggly sort of way. It was good to watch and I realised that the way a mother relates to her offspring probably gives a good insight into the nature of the mother.

I wanted to go and tell this particular parent just how motherly she was, but decided against it. There was something about the way she invested her whole attention in the child which suggested that she wouldn’t be the sort to welcome an unsolicited comment from a third party, and so I kept my mouth shut and my observation to myself.

I expect I’ll grow tired of the habit eventually but at the moment it makes a refreshing change from observing the way people treat their dogs. And I would very much like to meet the Lady B’s two-week-old baby some time soon, but I expect said baby will be walking and practiced in the use of expletives before I do.

And I have to say that the image below doesn't really illustrate the post. I searched everything that Google had to offer and couldn't find anything that did. I just happened to like this one a lot because it reminded me of somebody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

makes a refreshing change from observing the way people treat their dogs. And I would very much like to meet the Lady B’s two-week-old baby some time soon, but I expect said baby will be walking and practiced in the use of expletives before I do.,,,,,,,,,

If I was the lady B or any member of her family I would be very concerned about your continuous mentioning of her , think you may need some help :-(