Friday 29 June 2018

Good Weather Biting.

The road which goes into Ashbourne from the south runs down quite a steep hill from the plateau known as Darley Moor, and offers a brief but quite spectacular view of the southern Pennine foothills. It’s usually green; sometimes in the winter it’s white; today it was as brown as I think I’ve ever seen it.

We’ve had an unusually dry, sunny spring and early summer in the UK, and we’re currently getting unusually high temperatures by normal June standards. The water company was handing out free bottled water in Ashbourne today because usage is exceeding supply capability in some areas. I’ve read about people going out to rescue fish from drying streams. And Northern Ireland has instituted a hosepipe ban. A hosepipe ban this early in the summer? And in Ireland of all places, which owes its ‘Emerald Isle’ soubriquet to all the rain it normally gets?

This post isn’t going anywhere; I just thought I’d mention it. I like the first paragraph and I wanted to write something so I just did. A number of things are troubling me at the moment.

No comments: