Wednesday 16 November 2016

Lightening the Shadow of Trump.

You know, making blog posts has been almost impossible since Trump ‘won’ the election. Everywhere I look I see Trump, Trump, Trump, with the result that the light and humour has gone out of life. The shadow of Trump and his Fascist entourage is blocking the sun better than any solar eclipse could manage.

And now I’m becoming prey to a probably irrational suspicion. I see a scenario unfolding in which Trump, having subjected America to the delights of totalitarian control, pulls the USA out of NATO and joins forces with his pal Putin, thence to proceed with a plot to divide Europe between them, partly by force and partly by sneakier means. I see a second War of Independence looming, only with the roles reversed. I see a container load of Chicken McNuggets being tipped into the Manchester Ship Canal.

Was that funny enough? It’ll have to do.

*  *  *

Meanwhile, I’ve been drifting back to my highly impressionable teenage years when I used to frequent Spiritualist meetings. In particular, I’m remembering how mediums used to tell everybody that their spirit guide was either a North American Indian chief or a wise old Chinese man. I was different. I was told that my spirit guide was a South Pacific maiden wearing a grass skirt. (I’m not making this up, really I’m not.)

Well, I don’t know whether that’s true or not, but I’d like to propose a compromise. Maiden I’m happy with, but could she be Chinese please?

No comments: