Saturday 14 February 2015

Disappointments.

I’ve been watching some episodes of X Files on YouTube these past few nights. I used to be a big fan of X Files, but what a difference a gap of twenty years makes. Back then I thought the scripts sharp and sophisticated. Some bits still are, but much of the writing is sloppy, naïve and overplayed. And the poor quality of the uploads doesn’t help much.

*  *  *

The new flat screen monitor isn’t quite the wonderful experience I hoped it would be after thirteen years of using a CRT model. It’s too bright, even though I have the brightness turned down to 50%. The image resolution is relatively poor, even though it’s set to maximum. Worst of all, though, is the colour saturation, which looks washed out compared with the old monitor. I’ve adjusted colour balances but to no avail. To an ex-photographer, that matters. I’ve seen the same characteristics on flat screen monitors I’ve used in libraries and thought they just had the settings wrong. Seems not.

*  *  *

I fell asleep earlier and had a dream in which several of my regular blog visitors came to my house in the real world. One of them brought me a gift and I kissed the end of her nose in gratitude. She didn’t look best pleased, and it probably explains why I was never successful with women.

4 comments:

Madeline said...

I've only ever watched a handful of X-Files episodes, and it was a long time ago, but I always found Gillian Anderson to be hypnotic. She makes up for the flaws of whatever she's in. Have you watched any of The Fall?

JJ said...

I agree about Gillian Anderson. She has an impressive range and depth of expression which she conveys through her eyes. I suppose that's what makes her hypnotic. IN the episode I watched last night, though, even she overstretched a bit. The problem is, of course, that it's difficult know whether it's the actor or the director who's responsible.

I haven't watched The Fall. I assume you're recommending it.

Madeline said...

I am, if you're a fan of crime dramas and/or Gillian Anderson, which I am. I'm a fan of a third thing in the Fall but I'm assuming that you may not appreciate Jamie Dornan the way that I do.

JJ said...

OK, I'll look out for it. And no, Mr D isn't my type. I'm more of a Betty Boop man.