Saturday 30 November 2013

Holmes and the Femme Fatale.

Following on from the last post, I was pleasantly surprised by Robert Downey Jr’s portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. It was a bit out of the traditional mould, of course, being consciously dissolute and mildly comical, but all the important elements were strongly represented.

His English accent was so convincing that I had to look him up to confirm that he was American, and for a notorious drug addict (now ex, apparently) his performance was controlled, subtle and self assured. In fact, I’d say he made a better job of Holmes than some leading British actors down the years. Only I wish he’d insisted on pronouncing Irene Adler’s name i’ray’na, not ay’reen. My mother’s name was Irene, and she was no scheming femme fatale.

*  *  *

My own femme fatale tonight is Stevie Nicks, although she has strong competition from some of these Belgian chocolates.

No comments: