Friday 1 November 2013

An American Oddity.

I read today that the American government’s response to rising unemployment and food costs is to cut the food aid to 47m of America’s poorest. Seems oddly perverse to me, but I suppose it keeps the Republicans happy. I also heard a couple of days ago that the richest 300 Americans have as much wealth as the other 313m combined. If these two facts are accurate, wouldn’t you think that somebody could devise a better system?

The situation in Britain is probably broadly similar, though I should think it’s rather less extreme. Most things are.

And incidentally, another thought: I’ve also heard that America has by far the highest per capita prison population in the developed world, and prisoners cost a lot to keep. So does that mean that people are going hungry in order to keep thousands of relatively petty and non-violent criminals locked up? Well, isn’t that the darndest thing? Correct me if I’m wrong.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

We liberals have a facetious saying to describe this sort of situation; it's "AMERICUH!"

It's supposed to poke fun at the conservative and somewhat unintelligent types who hold up signs like "YOUR IN AMERICA SPEAK ENGLISH" [sic] and believe that if you criticize the government (read: Republicans) in any way, you're anti-American.

So we liberals say things like, "We have the largest prison population in the world. AMERICUH!"

"The richest 300 Americans have as much wealth as the rest combined. AMERICUH!"

Etc.

JJ said...

Huh? Redneck and proud, I suppose.

My ex found a greetings card in a card shop the other day, on which was printed.

'Your really special.'

She looked deflated and asked 'Is it official now?'